Nikki pretty much summed up our short stay in Belgium: lots of wonderful food and beer, in a relaxed, laid-back, pretty surrounding. I wish we could have stayed longer in Belgium, perhaps cutting some time from France, so we could see more of the country.
Top three experiences?
- Hanging out with Jeltse in Antwerp.
- Walking around Brugge.
- Eating and drinking!
- Brugge. It’s such a beautiful, old city. It was fun just to wander on the quiet roads and canals.
- Belgian beers. Trappist beers, which is a protected name like Champagne and Chianti, are really, really good.
- I had a great time in Antwerp when Jeltse showed us around, and especially the dinner of currywurst and fries!
Bottom three experiences?
- Staying with the weirdos in their disgusting house.
- Trying to find a cafe that was open for breakfast in Brugge. For some reason, they were all closed while we were looking.
- It was always tough to find a bathroom while we were wandering around.
- Our Airbnb experience. It was not a nice place and the hosts were weird.
- Finding breakfast in Brugge was difficult, and we ended up just eating an early lunch at a massively overpriced restaurant in the tourist district. Apparently people don’t go out for breakfast in Belgium.
- Only having three days in this awesome country.
Nikki: Hard to pick just one, but I’ll say the fish and potatoes I had in Brugge.
Brad: We had a great dinner in Brugge. I had the roast beef with tomato sauce and Nikki had fish, with fries and good beer.
Nikki: The ridiculously overpriced sandwich I had in Brugge.
Brad: Probably the dinner that never happened on our first night. Our Airbnb hosts took us out, and kept taking us to places they said had dinner, but all we ended up getting was beer and appetizers. I felt like they hijacked our night. We ended up ditching them and going home without a dinner.
Favorite person we met?
Nikki: Jeltse’s sisters were both just as friendly as she is. Too bad we couldn’t meet the whole family!
Brad: I’d say Jeltse, but she was my answer for Mongolia. So it’ll be Antony, one of Jeltse’s friends who we met up with. He explained a lot about Belgian beers.
Nikki: No major disasters.
Favorite place we stayed?
Nikki: With Jeltse and her family in Antwerp! So much fun and a very nice house.
Brad: With Jeltse. Her family has a really nice house, and I’m grateful for her taking us in for the night.
Worst place we stayed?
Nikki: The house in Brugge.
Brad: In Brugge, with the crazies from Airbnb.
Best thing we didn’t blog about?
Nikki: Dinner at ‘T Ganzespel in Brugge. The restaurant is only open two nights a week and the owner serves homemade classic Belgian dishes. It was a really cute place and the prices are great. Definitely recommend going there!
Nikki: Jeltse translated Dutch names for us and some of them were pretty funny. The new mall is “The City Party Room” in English and one of the street names apparently translates into “Jerking Off Road.”
Brad: That Antwerp is named after throwing a hand and there are hands all over the place.